Most games have cheats and tricks. Civ is no exception.
This only works in versions ending in 1, for example: 474.01 or 475.01. May need repeating a few times before it responds.
- You can see the whole map
- F7 gives you detailed info about rivals, including the advances they have made
- You can enter any rival city, just as if you used a diplomat, but once there you can:
- cancel any "sentry" or "fortify" orders for any units in the city
- force a sale of a building (e.g. the palace to slash trade returns, City Walls when you or barbarians are about to attack, a granary or aqueduct or barracks just when it's needed, or a temple etc. to throw the city into disorder)
- move workers around (and sometimes they stay put for one whole turn or longer)
- sometimes successfully change what is being built
Beware problems with some of the function keys. F4, F5, and F6 work as normal, F7 as above, but some others don't and may even lock up the system.
To revert to normal mode, repeat the key sequence.
The cheat mode actually is toggled by typing %^ (percent sign and circumflex accent), which corresponds to [Shift]56 on US and UK keyboard layouts, but not on various international layouts. Users who use one of those other layouts or who wish to memorize a key sequence that works independently of keyboard layout should consider %^ as the cheat code.
Purchasing Military Units Edit
Military units usually cost twice as much as city improvements to purchase using gold, but it is possible to purchase an improvement and then change the project to a military unit costing the same number of resources, i.e. a catapult and a temple.