A city falls into civil disorder when the number of unhappy citizens exceeds the number of happy citizens. Growth and production cease while a city is in disorder.
Remedies for disorder include:
- turning citizens into entertainers;
- imposing martial law by moving military units into the city under Anarchy, Despotism, Monarchy, or Communism;
- building a Temple, Cathedral, or Colosseum;
- constructing wonders increasing the effectiveness of Temples and Cathedrals (the Oracle and Michelangelo's Chapel respectively) or providing a direct happiness bonus (Hanging Gardens, J.S. Bach's Cathedral and the like);
- increasing the amount of trade used for Luxuries.
- We Love the King Day (Civ1) - a situation when the amount of happy citizens in the city is equal or greater than the number of content ones, and there is no unhappiness (with the population of at least 3).