Civil Disorder is a state of near anarchy in a city, in which the city essentially freezes and shuts down:
- Production ceases
- No revenue comes in from commerce
- No excess food is stored.
Prolonged periods of civil disorder can lead to:
- Destruction of existing city improvements or even sabotage to ongoing projects by angry mobs.
- Defection of the city to a nearby rival civilization with a strong culture.
- An overthrow of your government and descent of your empire into anarchy.
Civil disorder erupts when a city has more unhappy than happy citizens. The only remedy is to improve the mood of the people in the city.