Civilization IV: Colonization (abbreviated as Civ4Col on this wiki) is a stand-alone title in the Civilization series based on Civilization IV, using the same engine and a similar interface. It does not require you to have Civilization IV (nor the original Colonization (1994)) to play.
As before there are only the 4 European civilizations to play as. The goal is revolution, independence from your mother country. The king sends an army to stop your revolution.
Civilizations and leadersEdit
Colonization contains sixteen civilizations and twenty leaders:
- Main article: List of buildings in Civ4Col
Units & ProfessionsEdit
- Main article: Founding Fathers (Civ4Col)
Founding Fathers are historical figures who offer to join your colonies as you accumulate points in their respective categories: Politics, Exploration, Religion, Trade and Military. Founding Fathers bring with them benefits relative to their category.
The economic system in Colonization revolves around harvesting resources and converting them in to goods. These resources and goods can then be sold in Europe and to the natives, which is the foundation of your economy.
Goods and MaterialsEdit
- Main article: Goods (Civ4Col)
|Crosses||Church, Cathedral||Increases the rate of immigration|
|Education||Schoolhouse, College, University||Allows colonists to learn an advanced profession|
|Production||Carpenter's Shop, Lumber Mill||Increases the rate of building construction|
|Liberty Bells||Printing Press, Newspaper||Increases rebel sentiment|
Differences from the originalEdit
- No fixed trade routes but automated trade. Player sets import and export orders for each settlement, and the wagon trains - if there are enough of them - carry them out.
- Producing horses now requires a colonist, in addition to food.
- Production of buildings continues at a slow rate even without a colonist working at the carpenter's shop.
- Release date: September 2008
- Media: DVD-Rom
- System requirements: Windows XP or higher
- Input: Keyboard, mouse, microphone
Recent retail pricesEdit
- $29.99 (about $US20) at Noel Leeming, Porirua, Dec 2009
- $10.64 for Civilization III and IV Complete on Amazon, November, 2014
- The original Colonization game
- FreeCol, a free, open source imitation of Colonization
- Unsolicited comparison of FreeCol with C4C
- 1up.com gives it "A" on 25 Sep 2008 - "pretty darn glorious...but in a 1990s kind of way"
- GameInformer gives it 9 out of 10 - "oddly slow performance mars the otherwise fine presentation"
- IGN takes three pages for an overall rating of 8.7 - "stylishly upgrading the overall presentation and interface without sacrificing the appeal of the original game's mechanics and character"
- Second opinion on IGN
- G4 TV gives it four stars
|Colonization games |
|Original version Sid Meier's Colonization (1994)|
|Remake Civilization IV: Colonization (2008)|
|Fan created version FreeCol (2003-Present)|
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|