- "Why man, he doth bestride the narrow world like a colossus, and we petty men walk under his huge legs, and peep about to find ourselves dishonorable graves."
- –William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
City must be built on the coast.
- +5 Gold
- Gains an additional trade route slot
- Free Cargo Ship appears in the city
- Trade routes other players make to this city will generate an extra 2 Gold for the city owner and the trade route owner gains an additional 1 Gold for the trade route.
The Colossus is one of the best sea-based Wonders in the game, netting you a serious Gold boost and extending your early trade capabilities. It's a must for any sea-based nation, but you must rush Iron Working to get access to it, which isn't that easy.
The Colossus of Rhodes was a bronze statue of Helios, the Greek God of the Sun, erected near the mouth of the city harbor. It stood over 30 m (100 feet) high (about two-thirds the height of the Statue of Liberty). Unfortunately, an earthquake toppled it only 56 years after its construction. Taking the counsel of an oracle, the city elected to leave the statue in ruins where it lay. For over 900 years, people from all over the ancient world came to Rhodes to see the remains of the Colossus. It was destroyed in 650 AD when the city was captured by Muslim raiders, who promptly sold the statue for scrap.