This section of the city help is designed to provide you with all the information you will need on building and constructing cities.
Cities are built by Settler units. You are given one Settler unit at the start of the game to construct your first city; as the game progresses you'll need to build more Settlers to found new cities and expand your empire. From time to time you may encounter villages which will provide you with a Settler, but this is rare so don't rely on this method. Instead, go to your city and build a Settler.
- If your government is a Republic then a Settler is less expensive to train than with other government styles.
- Enemy Capitals are created by the game's AI, unless playing on-line or on system link.
- Cities cannot be founded in another civilization's territory unless your civilization is at war with them.
- Cities cannot be founded in an adjacent space to an existing city. The exception is if a Mongol Settler founds a city adjacent to a Barbarian Village that is later captured (by the Mongols).
- Cities cannot be founded on non-accessible terrain.
- The resources on the space the city is founded on are not usable.