Back to Civilization VI
A continent is a geopolitical grouping of landmasses. Unlike in earlier games, continents are not strictly defined as a set of continuous land tiles. Instead, Civilization VI defines continents somewhat arbitrarily even within a large landmass (not unlike Europe and Asia in the real world).
Continents affect certain game mechanics, and an individual tile's continent can be viewed in the associated tooltip. A Continent lens can be used to check continental boundaries. It's possible for a city radius to span across continental boundaries; in this case the City Center tile defines which continent the city belongs to. As a general rule, a civilization's home continent is defined by where its Capital is located, with other continents being foreign continents.
Note that only land tiles are assigned to a continent; sea tiles have their continent listed as "none."
The following are affected by intercontinental boundaries:
- Discovering another continent will grant an inspiration boost to Foreign Trade civic.
- Teddy Roosevelt's Leader Ability Roosevelt Corollary grants +5 Combat Strength to all units on America's home continent.
- Teddy's agenda Big Stick Diplomacy only checks whether wars are being fought on his home continent.
- Victoria's Leader Ability Pax Britannica grants a free melee unit upon founding or capturing a city on foreign continents.
- Victoria's agenda Sun Never Sets compels her to invade foreign continents, and dislike the civilizations on them.
- The Royal Navy Dockyard grants +2 Gold on foreign continents.
- The Spanish unique ability Treasure Fleets grants additional yields for intercontinental Trade Routes.
- The Garde Imperiale gets a combat bonus on France's home continent.
In addition, the following Steam achievements have something to do with continents:
For Queen and Country
Voyage of the Mayflower
Found or conquer a city on a different continent
As of August 2017, For Queen and Country has been achieved by 2.1% of players and Luftballons by only 0.2%. Voyage of the Mayflower is, on the other hand, a quite common achievement with 68.5% of players having earned it.
List of ContinentsEdit
Continent names are randomly selected from the following list, some of which are based on current or historical continent names on Earth, and the rest hypothetical or even mythical names:
- Congo Craton
- Kernorland (a misspelling of Kenorland)
- Kumari Kandam
- North America
- Pangaea Ultima
- South America
- Terra Australis
|Civilization VI |
|Rise and Fall|
Added in the Rise and Fall expansion pack.