In Civilization VI, as in previous games in the series, an era is a broad representation of the technological and social level your civilization has currently achieved. In a normal game, you always start in the Ancient Era (in other types of games, you may start later), and you progress towards the Information Era.
Changing Eras Edit
In Civilization VI, as opposed to previous games, both your civilization's scientific and cultural development will allow you to progress through the eras. The advancements of both the technology tree and the civics tree are organized into eras, and you will enter a new era when one of two things happens:
- You have a technology or a civic from the new era.
- You have all the technologies or civics from your current era.
There are several important gameplay effects related to eras:
- Roads will upgrade when you enter the Classical Era, again when you enter the Industrial Era, and again on entering the Modern Era.
- Many Policy Cards only work for specific eras. When you progress to a more advanced era, you may find that the Policies you were using are no longer working, or have indeed been replaced altogether!
- The warmonger penalties become progressively more severe with each passing era.
- Every time you enter a new era, all City-States which currently have no quest for you (and are not at war with you) will give you a new quest.
- Additionally, certain City-States' Suzerain bonuses are related to entering new eras, and will only activate then.
- The price of buying tiles will go up.
List of Eras Edit
There are eight eras in Civilization VI, similar to Civilization V: Gods & Kings:
- Ancient Era
- Classical Era
- Medieval Era
- Renaissance Era
- Industrial Era
- Modern Era
- Atomic Era
- Information Era
The Test of Time
Win a regular game with an Ancient Era start
Out of the Dark Ages
Win a regular game with a Medieval Era start
Splitting the Atom
Win a regular game with an Atomic Era start
Through the Digital Age
Win a regular game with an Information Era start
|Civilization VI |
|Rise and Fall|
Added in the Rise and Fall expansion pack.