Faith is one of the main statistics in Civilization VI. It is used mainly to fuel a civilization's religious pursuits, similar to how Gold is used as a currency for political functions and civilization upkeep. However, now that we have a whole victory type dedicated to Religion, Faith becomes as important as Gold, if not even more important.
Faith is primarily used in Religion and its activities. First, it can be used to buy a Pantheon, which requires 25 Faith. After you found a Religion, or after any of your cities with a Holy Site has been converted to a Religion, Faith can be used to purchase religious units there, including:
As with Gold purchases, the Faith price of successive units will rise. This is more important here, since there is no way to produce religious units. This means that, as the game progresses, you will have to necessarily spend more and more Faith for new units!
If the Religion your cities follow has certain Beliefs, you will also be able to purchase religious buildings, such as the Cathedral or the Mosque. But, under special circumstances, other buildings and units may also be purchased with Faith - look for the special descriptions of game items! Again, as with Gold, purchasing multiple buildings with Faith won't raise their price.
Finally, Faith can be used at all times to purchase Great People via Patronage, which makes it useful even to civilizations who didn't found a religion and are not interested in Theological Combat. Those will simply pile up their Faith until the right moment, then spend it to patronize a Great Person.
Faith primarily comes from Holy Site districts and their respective buildings, the Shrine (+2 Faith) and the Temple (+4 Faith). The Holy Site is one of the first districts in the game, unlocking early in the Ancient Era, and thus is also one of the first sources of Faith for your nascent empire. Additionally, Holy Sites' Adjacency bonuses are relatively easy to activate and thus boost your early production; also each Specialist Citizen grants +2 Faith.
Religious city-states may grant up to +4 Faith in every Holy Site district (+2 for each of Shrines and Temples instead of base district in Rise and Fall), depending on the number of Envoys assigned to that particular city-state, plus additional +2 Faith in the Capital.
Certain luxury resources grant Faith bonuses. These include:
There are several Policies which grant additional Faith boosts and income. These are:
- God King: +1 Faith in the Capital
- Simultaneum: +100% Faith yield from Holy Site district buildings
- Triangular Trade: +1 Faith from all trade routes
- Raj: +2 additional Faith from all city-states you are Suzerain of
Of these, God King is one of the very first Policy Cards unlocked (earned after developing the very first Civic, Code of Laws). It may be used to start producing Faith as early as Turn 10-15, if you have no other sources available.
Many Pantheons grant Faith bonuses related mostly to terrain for the civilization that founded them, including:
- Dance of the Aurora: Holy Sites give +1 bonus Faith for each adjacent Tundra tile.
- Desert Folklore: Holy Sites give +1 bonus Faith for each adjacent Desert tile.
- Sacred Path: Holy Sites give +1 bonus Faith for each adjacent Rainforest tile.
- Stone Circles: +2 Faith from Quarries.
- Religious Idols: +1 Faith from Mines over Luxury and Bonus resources.
- Initiation Rites: +50 Faith for each Barbarian Outpost cleared.
- God of War: Bonus Faith equal to 50% of the Combat Strength of each enemy unit killed within 8 units of a Holy District you own.
- Goddess of the Harvest: Harvesting a resource grants Faith equal to the quantity of the resource's yield.
- Lay Ministry: Each Holy Site in cities following this religion receive an additional +1 Faith
- Pilgrimage: +2 Faith for every city following this religion in other civilizations
- Divine Inspiration: All Wonders provide +4 Faith
Even more important than the Beliefs listed above are the Worship Beliefs, which unlock the special class Worship Building. These can be built as level 3 buildings in your Holy Site districts for large amounts of Faith, as well as other bonuses. However, these buildings usually become available later in the game, as you establish and develop your Religion and enhance your cities and Holy Sites. The various different Worship Building Faith bonuses are as follows:
- Cathedral: +4 Faith
- Dar-e Mehr: +3 Faith, +1 additional Faith for each era since constructed or last repaired
- Gurdwara: +3 Faith
- Meeting House: +3 Faith
- Mosque: +3 Faith
- Pagoda: +3 Faith
- Stupa: +3 Faith
- Synagogue: +5 Faith
- Wat: +3 Faith
- Hagia Sophia: +4 Faith
- Mahabodhi Temple: +4 Faith
- Mont St. Michel: +2 Faith
- Oracle: +1 Faith
- Potala Palace: +3 Faith
- Stonehenge: +2 Faith
Faith can also be obtained through natural wonders:
- Crater Lake: +4 Faith
- Dead Sea: +2 Faith
- Mount Everest: +1 Faith yield to all adjacent tiles
- Uluru: +2 Faith yield to all adjacent tiles
- The unique building of Arabia, the Madrasa, grants bonus Faith equal to the Science adjacency bonus of its Campus district.
- The unique building of the Aztecs, the Tlachtli, grants +2 Faith.
- The unique building of Norway, the Stave Church, grants +4 Faith.
- The unique tile improvement of Egypt, the Sphinx, grants +1 Faith; +2 Faith if adjacent to a Wonder.
- The unique tile improvement of India, the Stepwell, grants +1 Faith if adjacent to a Holy Site and +1 Faith with Feudalism.
- The unique tile improvement of Scythia, the Kurgan, grants +1 Faith and +1 Faith for each adjacent Pasture.
- The unique tile improvement of Spain, the Mission, grants +1 Faith; +2 Faith if built on a different continent than your Capital.
- Grand Barays, the civ ability of the Khmers, grants them +3 Faith in each city with an Aqueduct.
- Satyagraha, the leader ability of Gandhi, grants him +5 Faith for each civilization he has met that has founded a religion that he is not at war with.
- Righteousness of the Faith, the leader ability of Saladin, grants him +10% bonus Faith output from worship buildings.
- Lithuanian Union, the leader ability of Jadwiga, grants her +2 Faith from each Relic and additional Holy Site adjacency bonuses.
- Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds, the leader ability of Gitarja, grants her +2 Faith from City Centers adjacent to Coast or Lake tiles.
|Civilization VI |
|Rise and Fall|
Added in the Rise and Fall expansion pack.