- Common abilities:
- Air Recon: 6 tiles in every direction always visible.
- Interception (100)
- Air Sweep: Can Air Sweep to clear intercepting Units
- Bonus vs Bomber Units/Helicopters (150)
- Air Sweep: Order the unit to sweep an area for air and ground-based interceptors, clearing the way for future air strikes.
- Rebase Mode: Order the air unit to rebase to another city or a Carrier.
- Intercept: This air unit order will tell the craft to attempt interception with any incoming air attacks.
The more advanced version of the Triplane, the Fighter has greater combat strength (thanks to improved weaponry) and greater operational range (thanks to improved hull design) than its predecessor. To make a long story short, you should use it as you would a Triplane - it's just more effective at what it does than the older unit. It can defend against enemy aircraft with Interception mode, Air Sweep enemy targets to eliminate defending anti-aircraft weapons, and keep an eye on the enemy's border regions, as well.
Fighter aircraft were developed in World War I. The earliest "fighters" were little more than self-propelled kites with machine guns on them. By World War II both technology and doctrine had greatly improved, making the now single-winged and armored aircraft deadly killing platforms. The primary role of the fighter is to achieve air superiority over the battlefield, killing enemy aircraft or driving them away, allowing friendly bombers to rain destruction on enemy ground or naval forces unimpeded. Some fighter aircraft also carry bombs to be used against ground units, but even those without bombs can still strafe enemy ground or naval units with deadly effect.
Modern jet fighters are faster, better-armed and armored than those from World War II, but the principles of air combat remain, and the force with air superiority has a tremendous advantage over its enemy.
- The Fighter is modeled off of the Messerschmitt BF-109E, one of the best known German fighters of WWII. However, the art photo is modeled off the Focke-Wulf FW-190 A for some reason.
- Later P-51 fighter models came equipped with 6 Browning M2 .50 caliber machine guns, and some B-25 models even had a 75mm cannon attached.