- Yield Modifier: +3 Food
- +1 Production with Lady of Reeds and Marshes pantheon belief
- Cannot build districts or most wonders (unless Egyptian).
- Cannot build any unique tile improvements other than Sphinxes and Nubian Pyramids.
- Lowers Appeal of surrounding tiles.
- Bestows a combat penalty to units defending on it
Floodplains redeem deserts for city development, ensuring a supply of food. The trade-off is that - with the exception of Egypt due to their Iteru ability - floodplains are not acceptable tiles on which to place districts (other than the City Center) or wonders. The exception to this are wonders that specifically require desert tiles (Pyramids, Petra), which may still be built on floodplains. Still, the fact that Floodplains provide plentiful food in the middle of the desert is enough, especially when they happen to have Wheat or other resources on them! Use them exclusively for farming, and place your districts away from the River.
The effect of the Petra Wonder does not apply to Floodplains.
Since Floodplains (appropriately) are always lowland, there will never be Hills on a Floodplains tile.
Floodplains are low-lying areas adjacent to rivers, and prone to flooding each year (or more often) and hence fertile from soil deposits and some of the most productive farmland known. Perhaps the best known are those along the Nile, which helped ancient Egypt become one of history's greatest civilizations.