FreeCol is a free-to use open source imitation of Colonization. First released in 2003, it has undergone over 20 named version upgrades since, as it passes 75,000 lines of code and 53,000 comment lines with 550 java files.
This wiki can accommodate any number of pages about FreeCol: beginners' guide, strategies, units, Founding Fathers, versions, ... . The Freeciv Wikia has good models of categories etc, but many of its pages would need " (FreeCol)" added to their names here so as to distinguish from other games.
(See also http://www.freecol.org/news/releases.html)
- Current release: FreeCol 0.11.0 (18 October 2014), with 163 fixed bugs and questions about What Would Col1 Do?
- FreeCol 0.10.7 (7 January 2013) - "This is a bug fix release to correct some serious gameplay problems in 0.10.6. The only new feature present is some improvements to the graphics."
- FreeCol 0.10.6 (2012)
- FreeCol 0.10.5 (19 February 2012)
- FreeCol 0.10.2 fixes more bugs
- FreeCol 0.10.1 was released on 25 July 2011. See http://www.freecol.org/news/freecol-0.10.1-released.html. Notable "the layout of some reports has been improved, and an alternative Colony Report has been added".
- FreeCol 0.10.0 had its alpha version released on 22 January 2011. See http://www.freecol.org/news/freecol-0.10.0-released.html. Half a dozen specific changes to improve compatibility with Colonization (1994).
- FreeCol 1.0.0 - intended to be "an almost exact Colonization clone"; "the gameplay and the rules will be exactly the same as the original game". Some players may have the impression that the game is already up to there and better, but the developers modestly retain that as a future goal on their roadmap. See FreeCol 1.0.0/Divergences from Colonization.
- One major improvement already implemented is the addition of four new (but historic) colonial powers: Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, and Russia, each with a unique in-game advantage.
- FreeCol 2.0.0 - intended to be "an implementation of our (and our users') image of what Colonization 2 would have been".
- Unsolicited comparisons with C4C:
- Home page
- Forum on SourceForge
- Report a bug - needs SourceForge registration; use the "Add new artifact" link if you reach the bug tracker "Browse" screen
- Documentation User Guide - "... free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License ...". See FreeCol Official User Guide.
- Translatewiki.net page for FreeCol