The Hall of Fame is a listing of the best games since you last retired or completed a game. It is a separate file, which can be copied to a separate folder with the saves for any particular game, so that you can start a new Hall or at least continue modifying one while preserving an earlier listing. You can fill a whole Hall during one game by retiring (which chalks up a result if it qualifies) then resuming from your last save.
You see the top five (with your current effort at the bottom if you didn't make the top five). The order depends on your Civilization Rating, a percentage of something. Criteria that determine your Rating are not entirely obvious. Your "points" (which are fairly transparent, based on population, years of peace, wonders, and pollution, and can be checked easily earlier in the game) count, but so do the level of difficulty (apparently the dominant factor) and possibly the number of turns.
Just before the Hall is displayed, you see a screen that compares you with other historic personages. It goes a bit like this:
- Rating of 70% exceeds even
- Sulayman the Magnificent!
- Sulayman the Magnificent
- Winston Churchill
- Charles De Gaulle
- Vladimir Lenin
- Otto von Bismarck
- Eric the Red
- Kaiser Wilhelm
- Louis the XVI
- Neville Chamberlain
- Ferdinand Marcos
- Emperor Nero
- Dan Quayle
Example of complete Hall of fame:
1. Crazulu, Emperor of the Zulus to 1883 AD.
- Population: 47,460,000, Score: 1046 (Emperor)
- --- CIVILIZATION RATING: 104% ---
2. Hammur2010, King of the Babylonians to 2011 AD.
- Population: 23,610,000, Score: 883 (King)
- --- CIVILIZATION RATING: 70% ---
3. Alexander, Lord of the Greeks to 2018 AD.
- Population: 19,390,000, Score: 747 (Warlord)
- --- CIVILIZATION RATING: 29% ---
4. Elizabeth I, Chief of the English to 2097 AD.
- Population: 31,400,000, Score: 1062 (Chieftan)[sic]
- --- CIVILIZATION RATING: 21% ---
5. rhiannon, Chief of the Romans to 1981 AD.
- Population: 28,160,000, Score: 790 (Chieftan)
- --- CIVILIZATION RATING: 15% ---
The rating you have just achieved is highlighted in yellow.
One click will clear the hall.
The full list of persons you're compared with is the following (confirmed approximations of civilization ratings in parenthesis):
- Solomon the wise (137– %)
- Emperor Augustus (133 %)
- King Charlemagne (111 %)
- Thomas Jefferson
- Shogun Tokugawa (88–90 %)
- Sulayman the Magnificent (70–80 %)
- Winston Churchill (59–65 %)
- Cleopatra (49–56 %)
- Charles De Gaulle (41–48 %)
- Vladimir Lenin (36–40 %)
- Otto von Bismarck (23–27 %)
- Eric the Red (14–20 %)
- Kaiser Wilhelm (13 %)
- Louis the XVI (10–12 %)
- Neville Chamberlain (6–8 %)
- Ferdinand Marcos (4–5 %)
- Emperor Nero (2–3 %)
- Dan Quayle (1 %)