Hills are one aspect of a tile's terrain. Hill tiles receive -1 , +1 as well as defensive bonuses. When a land tile is not a hill (and also not a peak), it is flatland.
- Hills have +1 visibility range, for units or civs with cultural control of the tile
- Moving into a bare hill tile requires 2 movement points.
- Moving into a forest or jungle hill tile requires 3 movement points.
- Most units standing on hills gain +25% defense.
- Cities founded on hill tiles retain this +25% hill defense bonus for units contained within.
- Units with the Guerrilla promotions receive additional defense, movement, and/or attack on hill tiles.
- -1 , +1
- Cities founded on plains hill tiles receive 2 in the city center (instead of the standard 1 ).
- Desert hills and ice hills are workable tiles, whereas desert and ice flatlands are not.
- Hill tiles may have these tile improvements: