Advanced air fighter of the Information Era. Upgrades from the Fighter. Requires Aluminum.
- Common abilities:
- Air Recon: 6 tiles in every direction always visible.
- Interception (100)
- Air Sweep: Can Air Sweep to clear intercepting Units
- Bonus vs Bomber Units/Helicopters (150)
- Air Sweep: Order the unit to sweep an area for air and ground-based interceptors, clearing the way for future air strikes.
- Rebase Mode: Order the air unit to rebase to another city or a Carrier.
- Intercept: This air unit order will tell the craft to attempt interception with any incoming air attacks.
The Jet Fighter is the ultimate air superiority unit. With significantly improved flying and combat systems, with a great range (10) and considerable combat strength, it can keep up with the most modern and deadly war machines and defend your skies from air attacks, or clear the enemy skies for your own air attacks. Jet Fighters also use Aluminum, unlike previous Fighter airplanes, and can still base on Carriers.
The jet fighter is extremely similar in role to its ancestor, the World War II propeller-driven fighter, but there are huge differences in the planes' power, armament, weaponry, and computer and communications equipment. The best World War II aircraft could fly at best 650 kilometers per hour (400 mph), while a modern jet fighter can fly three times that fast. A World War II aircraft could carry one or two machine guns and possibly one or two bombs. A modern fighter can carry a 20mm Gatling gun, 10 or so air-to-air missiles, and dozens of different rockets and air-to-ground missiles. The vehicle is equipped with sophisticated computers, radar, and communications equipment far exceeding anything available anywhere before in history. Like other aircraft, jet fighters are vulnerable to surface-to-air missiles, but their largest threat comes from enemy fighters. Whichever side achieves air superiority will gain a nearly unbeatable advantage in combat.
The Jet Fighter is modeled after the American F-22 Raptor.