- Settlers - 0/10, 1.5, cost 40; food support, and its creation reduces the city population by two
- Engineers - 0/20, 3.0, cost 40; requires Explosives advance; resists terrain hostility and can do some things that settlers cannot; food support, and its creation reduces the city population by two
- Town Guard - 4/6, 1.5, cost 20; defensive strength gets a special bonus of +6 in a city; under Despotism adds 2 morale points to any city it is in; always requires 1-resource support
- Special Commando - 12/12, 2.5, cost 20; requires Intelligence advance; covert operations, including freely walking in friends' territories
- Freight - 0/6, 1.5, cost 60; requires Trade advance; can be converted to 40 material towards building anything in any city
- Longboats - 0/3, 2.5, cost 20; requires Map Making advance; carries two units (not Overweight); no Navigation capability, i.e. it cannot enter deep ocean
- Army of Slaves - 0/15, 1.5, cost 40; requires Pyramids Wonder; improves terrain; no food support, but its creation reduces the city population by one. If you have them when someone discovers Democracy, they are freed and you can't create more - unless you have the Eiffel Tower.
- Glider - 6/6, 4.5, cost 30; requires Leonardo's Workshop Wonder; must end turn on land
Not mentioned in the manual but definitely available from the beginning is the Militia - 6/6, 1.5, cost 10. (Sometimes a more powerful unit is also called a Militia.)
Units you designEdit
Other units that you want (and will need from an early stage if you are to survive) have to be designed by you, with the research for each one taking time that would otherwise be used to research advances.
You decide what features each unit will have, and how many modules of features where there is a choice, from among the features and up to the total "weight" currently available from the advances you have researched.
The program will assign what it thinks is an appropriate name (not necessarily unique) and icon. You can change the name at any time, first on the announcement of the design of the unit before you click OK, then later using a right-click on the unit on the F2 menu.
AI nations have the same powers of designing and building units.