Modding, short for modifying meaning: taking the game and modifying it to better suit your own tastes. Civilization V provides exceptionally good modding facilities. Units and such have their parameters defined in XML files and there is lots of the actual gameplay logic in the lua files. The developers also offer free tools, downloadable via Steam, for modding.
Making use of the Steam Workshop is the easiest way for players to mod their games.
- Modders Guide to Civilization V – A large PDF document describing the basics of modding
- The 2K Games Civilization V Wiki on Lua Game Objects
- Lua: demo – Test your code online
- Lua Unofficial Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Lua 5.1 Reference Manual
- Modiki, the Civilization Modding Wiki, hosted by CivFanatics
- Guide To Using Mods on Mac
|Civilization V |
|Gods & Kings • Brave New World|