Railroad Tycoon is a railroad-empire-building game by Sid Meier, issued in 1990.
Its design is further from "Civilization" than his "Colonization (1994)". Differences include that fact that it's not turn-based but real-time (though you can freeze time easily).
Cities, villages, industries, and resources are already on the map (and tend to increase over time). What the player builds are stations of various sizes and tracks joining them, with locomotives and carriages or freight cars. The trains are then scheduled to pick up and deliver mail, passengers, and three classes of goods. Each station produces potential freight according to how many cities, villages, and resource-producers are in its radius. Speed of delivery determines your income.
You are competing with other railroad tycoons, and may buy shares in their railroads (as they may in yours).
- Railroad Tycoon Deluxe (1993) - three new "worlds" (but lost England) and more variety of messages; closing adverts for Return Phantom, Pirates Gold, and Sid Meier's Civilization
- Railroad Tycoon II (1998)
- Railroad Tycoon 3 (2003)
- Sid Meier's Railroads! (2006)
- Wikipedia:Railroad Tycoon (series)
- Moby Games page
- RailRoad Tycoon at FreeGameEmpire - includes easy browser-based version of original and deluxe versions using DOSBOX
- Demo of latest game and free download of original game using DOSBOX