Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Tech Web is a feature in Civilization: Beyond Earth, previously introduced in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, which represents the possibilities for technological development of your colony. Unlike previous Civilization games which featured linear tech trees, the tech web branches off radially in several directions. Higher tier techs again require lower tier techs to be developed first, but because of the web - style of organization, even the most sophisticated technologies are accessible after you develop only 5 - 6 lesser technologies.
See this image for tech web before the release of Rising Tide
In Civilization Beyond Earth the technologies are divided in two types:
- Branch or Primary technology: this is a main line of development, representing a broader approach to some subject. In the web branch techs are shown bigger, and always at the top of a technology 'cluster'. Branch technologies are required to advance and unlock higher tier technologies - this is illustrated in the web by the lines connecting the main techs (branch techs). Note, however, that unlike Civilization V, you don't need all lesser technologies to unlock a greater one - you just need one! At the same time, researching a branch technology also unlocks several deeper technologies, also known as 'leaf' techs. Branch techs enable access to main units and abilities, important Buildings, etc.
- Leaf or Secondary technology: this is a more focused technology, concentrating on a deeper development of some aspect of the broader branch tech. Each leaf technology can only be researched after its branch technology has been researched. Leaf techs appear smaller than branch techs, and immediately underneath them; note, however, that the order in which leaf technologies appear underneath doesn't show any precedence, or further dependence: once you have unlocked the branch tech, you can research any tech in its cluster, regardless of where it's found. Leaf techs often allow Affinity advancement, and unlock affinity-specific units. Also, most high-level buildings and Wonders are unlocked in leaf techs.
In Civilization V, icons in each technology node are ordered from left to right: Units, City Buildings, Wonders, Revealed Resources, Tile Improvements, Abilities, Projects. Beyond Earth appears to preserve this order, with the addition of a +Affinity Points type, which appears to the left of Units.
Unit icons are monochromatic and borderless. Building icons have an octagonal border, and Wonder icons have a crescent border. Abilities appear as a star in a circle. Resource icons appear in color in a dark circle. Tile improvements appear borderless, but have a deeper color shade than units.
- This illustrator will give you a good overview of the Tech Web: http://apolyton.net/civbe/techweb/
List of TechnologiesEdit
|0||Habitation||60||Researched at start|
|Pioneering||95||Available as the Laboratory Cargo option at start|
|Planetary Survey||95||Allows Aquatic Cities to move over Ocean.|
|1||Chemistry||115||Allows workers to build Petroleum Wells|
|Ecology||115||Allows Workers to clear Miasma|
|Geophysics||300||Allows Workers to build Geothermal Wells.|
Reveals Geothermal on the map.
|Alien Biology||300||Grants Workers immunity to Miasma|
|Power Systems||300||20||Improves the Energy output of Geothermal Wells and the Production output of Quarries|
|Genetic Mapping||300||Improves the Culture output of Paddocks|
|2||Alien Sciences||455||7||Allows Workers to build Xenomass Wells|
|Alien Adaptation||925||20||Improves the Food output of Work Barges|
|Alien Ecology||925||Allows Workers to add Miasma|
|Autonomous Systems||925||20||Allows Workers to build Nodes|
|Transcendental Math||925||20||Allows discovery of the Transcendental Equation and commencement of the Contact Victory|
|Alien Genetics||925||20||Improves the Culture output of Biowells and the Science output of Xenomass Wells|
|Robotics||455||7||7||Allows Workers to build Firaxite Mines and Manufactories|
|Swarm Robotics||925||20||Improves the Food output of Fisheries|
|Swarm Intelligence||1390||20||Required to complete the Transcendence victory|
|Biology||925||Improves the Science output of Bed ties|
|Vertical Farming||1390||Improves the Energy and Food output of Farms|
|Bionics||925||7||7||Allows Workers to build Biowells|
|Tissue Engineering||1390||20||Allows units to heal faster.|
Improves the Science output of Work Barges
Allows workers to build Academies
|Orbital Networks||1390||Allows Workers to build the Arrays|
Required for the Emancipation and Promised Land victories
|Fabrication||925||7||Allows Workers to build Domes|
|Civil Support||1390||20||Allows Workers to upgrade roads into Magrails|
|Photosystems||1390||20||Improves the Food output of Plantations|
|Terraforming||925||7||7||Workers to build Terrascapes and Floatstone Quarries|
|Biospheres||1390||20||Improves the Energy output of Domes.|
Carries over 10% of a City's Food after City Growth
|Alien Domestication||2185||20||Improves the Culture output of Xenomass Wells.|
Allows the Leash Alien ability to be used on Colossal alien lifeforms
|Mobile LEV||2185||20||Improves the Energy output of Sea Wells|
|Transgenics||1390||7||7||7||Required to complete the Transcendence victory|
|Protogenetics||2185||20||20||Improves the Culture output of Academies|
|5||Artificial Evolution||2975||7||Improves the Science output of Farms|
|Astrodynamics||2975||Improves the Science output of Arrays|
|Surrogacy||3860||20||Increases Worker construction speed|
|Industrial Ecology||3860||Improves the Production output of Farms|
|Biometallurgy||3860||20||Improves the Energy output Mines|
|Hypercomputing||2975||7||7|| Improves the Science output of Nodes|
Required for the Emancipation victory
|Nanotechnology||2975||7||7||Required to complete the Promised Land victory|
|Nanorobotics||3860||20||Improves the Science output of your Manufactories|
Required to complete the Transcendence victory
|Planetary Engineering||2975||7||7||Improves the Production output of Generators|
- ↑ This table is based on the Rising Tide tech web
- ↑ Techs in bold are the branch technologies, and non-bolded techs are leaf technologies. Leaf technologies have the same image as their branch counterparts.
- ↑ Bolded improvements are Wonders
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Thermohaline Rudder in the original Rising Tide expansion was unlocked by Ecology rather than Planetary Survey. This was changed in the October 2015 patch
- ↑ Planetary Survey in the original Rising Tide expansion provided the ability Amphibious Trade. This abilty allowed trade vessels to cross land and trade convoys to cross water. This abiility was provided by default in the October 2015 patch
|Civilization: Beyond Earth [Edit]|
|Games: Base Beyond Earth • Rising Tide • Starships‡|
† Introduced in Rising Tide • ‡ Spin off game based in the same fictional universe